top of page
Search
  • Writer's picturecaissiecanineinstr

Caissie Canine Instruction: K9 Safety Concerns During the Fall Months


We begin this week’s “RUFF TAILS” featuring a beautiful German Shepherd named Leo.



My mom and dad say I am very friendly and fearless. I once chased a coyote into the forest when I saw him in the street.





I love to go out for my daily walks, and I love playing with my ball. It’s my favourite.


Welcome to Doggie Dialogue


During the fall months some K9’s are prone to eat everything off the ground, such as sticks, leaves, fermenting apples, acorns and chestnuts to name a few.

Wild nuts and acorns tend to ripen in September and October and start to fall shortly after. Avoid letting your K9 eat these as they can cause an intestinal obstruction, become a choking hazard, and can cause illness.





Black walnuts with mold can be toxic for your K9. If your K9 shows signs of illness or you suspect they ate a nut or acorn seek veterinary assistance immediately.


Mushrooms grow more frequently on the ground in the fall and so do molds. Both can be dangerous for your dog. If your dog is showing any signs of illness, please call your vet.


Fallen leaves, plants, and some flowers can cause gastrointestinal upset, and diarrhea if ingested by your K9. Some examples of toxic plants are Autumn Crocus, Lilies, and Yews. ASPCA has a list of toxic plants on their website.


Also hiding under the leaves can be critters, such as fleas, ticks, and snakes.


Dogs, like humans, can face seasonal allergies. If your dog starts to sneeze, have watery eyes, or itchy skin, they may be dealing with side effects from dust mites, fleas, or pollen. Ask your vet for the best remedy and dosage for the breed, size and weight of your dog to assist with these allergens.



Now that the kids are back in school, dogs may find small pieces of school supplies on the ground, such as glue sticks, paper, or markers. Do not let your K9 eat these.








With Halloween just around the corner, your K9 may find candy, chocolate, or foil on the ground and attempt to eat it. Try to discourage your K9 from scavenging.







When taking your K9 out for their daily walk and you find your K9 is relentless at trying to eat everything on the ground, we recommend walking your dog in an open area, instead of the neighbourhood and walk at a quicker pace to help discourage this behaviour.


104 views0 comments

留言


bottom of page