top of page
Search
  • caissiecanineinstr

Caissie Canine Instruction: Holiday Hazards


We begin this week’s “RUFF TAILS” featuring a beautiful 14-month-old Rottweiler named Mya.

Hi everyone, I am Mya and I love to run, jump, swim and wrestle with daddy. I like to sit on daddy’s lap on the ATV and going for truck rides as well. I also love to run laps around the track.





When I get tired, I snuggle with mommy. My family says I am super smart and know lots of words and phrases. Sometimes, I like to wake up in the middle of the night and eat some kibble and gnaw on my bone. LOL.


Welcome to Doggie Dialogue


With the holiday season approaching, it is a joyous time for humans, but can be dangerous for our pets. It is important to be mindful of the holiday hazards that pets my encounter even in our own homes.


Cats are curious, and K9’s have a strong sense of smell; therefore, both can get into toxic plants, dangerous decorations, and even unhealthy treats.


Things to consider; if you are planning on getting a real Christmas tree, please securely anchor it so it doesn’t fall over.

Cats love to climb the Christmas tree. Also, be mindful that real Christmas trees, need to be watered and that water can become stagnant in the base. This water may contain bacteria and can cause nausea and diarrhea if our pets decide to drink it.




Plants such as Holly, Mistletoe, Poinsettias, Amaryllis, Azaleas, and Chrysanthemums are toxic

to pets.





Please keeps Christmas lights, wires, and glass/plastic ornaments away from your pets. Chewed wires can cause lethal electric shock to any pet and shards of glass from broken ornaments can cause damage to your pet’s mouth and digestive tract.


Christmas gifts, which include board games pieces or small battery-operated toys can present a danger if eaten/swallowed by your pet.

Please have the children pick up all toys off the floor after playing with, for ensured safety.


Christmas chocolates, candies, and gum may contain xylitol which is toxic to pets and must be placed high in the cupboards to avoid any accidents. Food bags, such as mylar-type bags, like chip bags, snack bags, or cereal bags can be dangerous for your K-9. These bags are thin and if your K9 pulls their head in far enough into the bag and breathes in, the bag can wrap around their nose and mouth, suffocating them.


Pet owners who think their pet has ingested something, call your vet immediately.







Remember Christmas time is busy for families and sometimes keeping a close eye on our “fur” babies can be challenging. We recommend letting your pet retreat to their special or quiet place to ensure safety during your holiday festivities.


83 views0 comments
bottom of page