Search
  • caissiecanineinstr

Caissie Canine Instruction: My Dog Swallowed WHAT???


We begin this week’s “RUFF TAILS” featuring a beautiful 11-month-old German Shepherd, from imported parents, named Seven.

My family says I have incredible energy outside, and I am absolutely obsessed with prey drive. I have been known to chase and tug, until I can barely walk. When inside our car, I shut down instantly, where I can rest and relax.





I am learning not to pull on the leash, not to be aggressive towards other dogs, and not to have jealousy or protective impulses against the other 2 dogs in our house.

My mom and dad say that I WANT to be the boss. I am working on getting better every day.


Welcome to Doggie Dialogue


Paul and I have had “all” our own personal dogs eat or swallow something they should not have. Panic sets in, especially for me. We have heard oh so many stories about other people’s dogs, what they have eaten by accident, and it would shock you that their dog lived through it, thank goodness!!!


A few of our clients’ dogs have gotten into the famous “trashcan”, ate a toy or pieces of toy, ate a chocolate “kiss”, or a grape, (both toxic), pieces of a sponge, S.O.S. pad, a rock, or a sock. Bad dog owners?

NOPE!!!, but dogs are curious, sneaky, quick, and eat extremely fast when you are running towards them. LOL. There are many breeds that have high “chewing” drives, such as German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, Labrador Retrievers, and Belgian Malinois just to name a few.


Some objects maybe small enough to pass through the digestive track with minor consequences, others can cause damage to the esophagus, stomach or intestines.


If your dog eats a foreign object, or bone that is lodged deep in your dog’s throat, do NOT try to pull it out.


So, what happens now? Act fast, off to the vet you go.

If your vet is unavailable, you can call an emergency vet clinic. Some vets will try to get your dog to vomit by giving them charcoal to bring up the object. (This works very well)

There is about a 2-hour window before the object makes its way to the intestines. If this has occurred, then x-rays will be next, to see what it was that your dog got into.


Sometimes, if the object has been chewed into smaller bits, and has passed thru the stomach, canned/ high fiber foods and fluids can assist the object by having your K9 poop it out. Examine your dog feces for the missing the object.



If your K9 can not poop it out, and is lethargic, not eating/drinking or having diarrhea, then surgery will often be the next option.





Please do NOT have the “wait and see” mindset, as it can be life or death for your beloved K9.


88 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All